Great news! James the Chimney Sweep is available to work in the Southborough, Kent, TN4 area, remember I can help you with any of the following:
- Chimney Swept & Vacuumed and Certificates Issued for Household insurance
- Wood Burning Stoves and multi fuel stoves
- Jetmaster fires
- Aga flues
- Bird nests removed
- Complete Safety Inspections
- Chimney Pots, Cowls and Bird guards
- Free Advice on Chimney Liners
- Colour CCTV Chimney Surveys
- Electric Power Sweeping
- HETAS reg Engineer
If you have any queries or if there is another related job that you have in mind then don't hesitate to contact me by phone: 01892 548399, mobile: 07587 134589, email: email@example.com or by using the chimney sweep enquiry form
Map of Southborough
(Supplied by Google)
Southborough is a wonderful town with a friendly community, appreciated by James the Sweep, Master Sweep of Southborough. The town of Southborough is based not far from Royal Tunbridge Wells in the county of Kent. James the Sweep has worked in Southborough for many years and considers it a privilege to be known as the town's master sweep. Residents are enthusiastic about living in Southborough and indulge in a number of convivial leisure pursuits. Cricket in particular, is popular in the locality and matches have been played on Southborough Common for the past 200 years. Cricket balls were first made in Southborough in 1853. Iron has also been a prosperous commodity in the town. The surrounding countryside is attractive and the area is classed within the High Weald of Outstanding Beauty. Southborough's history includes an interesting wake-up call, as far as fire safety is concerned. A gunpowder mill exploded sometime in the 1770s, causing chaos across the location.
Southborough Common, owned by Southborough Town Council, is a 71-acre site in the heart of the town. It has been part ofthe Manorial Holding since it began and the historicity of the site was re-emphasised in an appraisal by Tunbridge Wells Borough Council in 2003. The Common had originally included an extra 30 acres, which were closed off sometime between 1790 and 1810. Cricket has been played at the site for at least 200 years. Another interest in Southborough, which began more recently, is the twinning link with Lambersart in the Nord department of northern France, originally agreed on October 18 1992. Southborough and Lambersart maintain friendship ties with mutual ties and exchange visits for the purposes of culture and education. Lambersart Close in Southborough's Barnetts Wood housing estate is named after the French town. Southborough also has close ties with Kaniv in Ukraine and the Southborough and Kaniv Association was founded in 2005.
Southborough was originally part of the Tonbridge urban mix but the settlement separated in 1871, when Southborough formed a board of health. The residential area was then bolstered with its own council and noted as an urban district in its own right, for the first time. The authority was later changed to civil parish status in 1974 although Southborough also happened to have its own town council. Southborough Town Council today has 18 councillors. These members come from three wards in the town: East-High Brooms, North and West, and there is a mayor and deputy mayor chosen each year. Southborough is also linked to the borough of Tunbridge Wells with its location north of T Wells. The town retains good working relations with other nearby areas, not just Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, but Bidborough and Speldhurst.
The story of the Royal Victoria Hall Theatre in Southborough is an ongoing narrative. The hall was built in 1900, to honour Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. At the time, it was the first municipal theatre in Britain but wasn't listed due to alterations made in the 1970s period. The building was marked down for demolition, according to an announcement made after a performance of Peter Pan in 2015, but there have been recent plans to create a Southborough Hub in its place, with room for dramatic performances as well as other facilities such as a GP surgery, and a cafe as well. Whatever the outcome, Southborough residents are rightly proud of where they live and there is an active interest in the local community, to keep arts and culture alive.
There's a lovely balance of busyness and space in Southborough. Road names are rather intriguing what with Doric Avenue, Garlinge Road, Draper Street and Fernhurst Crescent alongside the most stoutly named Castle Street, Sheffield Road, Park Road and Vicarage Road. The London Road A26 runs through Southborough, turning a corner at Southfields Park and then venturing beyond Pennington Grounds and Southborough Common, before veering east past Bidborough and heading straight up to Tonbridge. Victoria Road is a longer stretch, just outside the urban layout, ending in Gainsbury, parallel to Holden Road. Pennington Road heads east in the other direction, also a long route, coming to a stop not far from Ivy House Farm. Constitutional Hill Road is another unusually named street, coming off from the half-circular Church Road.
Iron was a main commodity for trade in Southborough for many years. Two furnaces, using water as a power source, were based in the town's two streams for the purposes of proceessing the product. One of these was at Southborough Borne and the other at Modest Corner. The furnaces were first set up in the 16th century and carried on until the 18th century when trade petered out. Manufacturing in the form of gunpower then took over in 1771 and a cornmill was also put on the site, until it stopped working in 1942. These industries gave residents employment in Southborough but other trades included textiles, agriculture, and cottage industries such as blacksmithing and the making of harnesses.
Southborough was once called the 'chief abode of the visitors of [Tunbridge Wells]'. The comment was made by John Marius Wilson in the informative tome, 'Imperial Gazetter of the England and Wales', in 1870. He described Southborough as being a village 'and a chapelry', which was 'constituted' in 1831 within the parish of Tunbridge in Kent, as well as having a post office. There was a population of 2,038 with 424 houses. Properties were subdivided into areas such as Broom Hill, Bounds Park, and Bentham Hill. The local church had five trustees and there was a smaller church constructed in 1861, as well as Wesleyan chapel, and school and a library.
James the Sweep is the Master Sweep of Southborough. Please get in touch today for a free quotation.
Pennington Grounds is a beautiful recreation ground, popular with families, which is located off Pennington Road and London Road. It's an ideal pleasure spot for people to gather and take some time off, using the splendid free facilities. That includes a children's play area encompassing tennis, basketball and volleyball, a climbing net, crazy golf, and table tennis outdoors. A gym set-up is also free to use, and also outdoors, which is available from 8am to dusk each day.
Looking for a chimney sweep in Southborough? James the Sweep is available in Southborough and surrounding area.
-James The Chimney Sweep