07587 134589

Never underestimate the dangers of carbon monoxide


CARBON monoxide is often mentioned by James the Sweep and that’s because too many people are not taking the dangers of CO seriously. 

It sounds abstract to say that there is a ‘danger in your home’ as thought CO was a bogeyman waiting to pounce. 

Yet the simple facts are that about 60 people in the UK die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

How? There are stories of people turning cars on in garages (effectively poisoning themselves) or lighting barbecues inside tents. Faulty boilers are another cause and every appliance in the home should be checked. 

The chimney is another potential source of carbon monoxide poisoning. If the chimney is unswept, tar deposits build-up on the inside of the flue. These prevent dangerous gas produced from an indoor fire – including carbon monoxide – from escaping safely to the outside atmosphere. 

That results in the carbon monoxide rolling back down the chimney and into the room. What’s more, you won’t even notice! There’s no strange smell and you can’t see the gas.

The first moment you might notice it is if you have a headache or feeling a bit woozy. Symptoms akin to the flu or a cold. These are just mild symptoms and if it progresses there can be vomiting, and all sorts of symptoms as the oxygen is blocked in the body as a result of CO preventing access to organs. 

Death can occur in literally minutes. So we can’t underestimate the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Fortunately you can deter the risks of CO poisoning from your chimney simply by booking a regular sweep with James the Sweep (if you live in Kent or East Sussex).

It only costs £60 for a standard sweep and James will get the job done quickly and effectively. 

Book a chimney sweep today with the Master Sweep for Tunbridge Wells – James the Sweep – and get peace of mind that your chimney poses no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning to you and your loved ones.