Chimney cowls, chimney pots and bird guard advice and fitting
HETAS approved experienced chimney sweep
What are chimney cowls, chimney pots and bird guards?
A chimney pot is an extra piece added to the top of the chimney to extend its height. You may have seen them above the chimney stack made from red clay. They can be either round or square depending on the chimney and are designed to increase the air drawn up by the chimney therefore reducing soot and fumes.
Bird guards are pretty self-explanatory, similarly to cowls they are designed to stop birds getting into your chimney and making their nests. They come in all shapes and sizes and are designed to let the smoke out and nothing harmful back in, such as birds, leaves and general debris. They are also good at stopping other critters invading your home such as squirrels and wasps.
Replacing a broken or damaged chimney cowl, chimney pot or bird guard
A chimney cowl, pot or guard will be inefficient if:
- It has large cracks.
- Is showing severe weather wear signs.
- Is poorly fitted with the wrong size and shape of cowl, pot or guard for the chimney.
Should you fit your own chimney cowl, chimney pot or bird guard?
In a word, No. Please don’t do this. For anyone not accustomed to going up ladders and onto roof spaces this is extremely dangerous. If done incorrectly, it could consequently cause a build up of carbon monoxide gas in your home, a serious risk to your family’s health. Therefore, properly sizing and fitting chimney cowls, pots or bird guards is an expert job that requires technical skill and knowledge.
How to choose the right chimney cowl, chimney pot or bird guard?
The correct chimney cowl, pot or guard is dependant on the type of chimney you have. James will take into account for instance:-
- What type of stove or open fire you have?
- The condition your flue and flue liner?
- What type of fuel you use?
- The type of roof material you have?
- Your chimneys position, is there any nearby structure which may affect it?
- What your internal and external chimney dimensions are?
- If your chimney complies with building regulations?
- What type of chimney pot, cowl or bird guard would fit your chimney?
After the inspection James can advise you on, the type and cost of chimney cowl, pot or bird guard that would best suit your chimney setup. If you are happy to proceed James will arrange a date for the chimney cowl, chimney pot or bird guard fitting.